Thursday, October 25, 2007

HW 24 Do you have a room of your own?

Do you have a Room of Your Own?

I think I do have a room of my own. I am not talking about my own room at home or my dorm that I share with my two roommates, but a place or a state of mind where I can go and just think without holding back. Virginia Wolf’s message is that women must have a room of their own in order to have the freedom to create. “The rooms differ so completely; they are calm or thunderous; open on to the sea, or, on the contrary, give on to a prison yard; are hung with washing; or alive with opals and silks; are hard as horsehair or soft as feathers- one has only to go into any room in any street for the whole of that extremely complex force of femininity to fly in one’s face (Wolf, pg 87). Everyone’s room is going to be different because that is what makes it yours. I don’t think any women would have the same room because all women think differently. Wolf also states that “ I am talking about the common life which is the real life and not of the little separate lives which we live as individuals- and have five hundred a year each of us and rooms of our own; If we have the habit of freedom and the courage to write exactly what we think"( Wolf, pg 113). Women are now starting to get freedom in our world. We are now getting the chance to write what we feel and act how we would like to act. I think a room of my own is the freedom that I have. I have freedom to go where I would like or wear what I want. It has not always been that way especially for Virginia Wolf. She always knew that that was what women needed in order to step forth in the world and I think the life that women live now at least in the US do have a room of their own.

No comments: