Monday, September 17, 2007

HW 9 My so called Blog

I think this is a hard topic to really take a side on. I think that parents need to be aware of what they’re kids are doing or who they’re talking to online but they need to watch their boundaries. I know that I wouldn’t want my parents checking up on my facebook everyday to look at my pictures or see who I’m talking to. So I think I agree with the statement “Parents should not monitor everything that their middle school children are writing online”. I agree with this because it says should not monitor everything. Which means to me that the parents should not be oblivious to what they’re children are doing online but give them some privacy. Being a teenager or a middle school student you don’t want your parents to always know how you’re feeling. Like it says in the reading “My so called blog” by Emily Nussbaum when she interviewed a boy referred to as J. He stated that “it’s better than therapy” (Nussbaum page 352). When you talk to your therapist you don’t want them to report everything you said back to your parents, it’s all about privacy. J also says “a way to get out his true feelings- all the emotions he thought might get him in trouble if he expressed them in school or at home (Nussbaum page 352)”. This makes my point by saying sometimes kids just need to vent and get their feelings out without their parents trying to know everything about their life. Sometimes kids/teenagers just need to let their emotions out and say what they feel without worrying about getting in trouble or made fun of it for